- End of Life Care/Pet Loss
- Services Offered, costs
- Client Testimonials
- Useful Links/Info
- About Us
- Alternatives when Dr. Christensen is Unavailable
Chocolate All types of Chocolate can cause problems, but dark chocolate creates the most problems. Below is a chart for toxicity levels. Common signs of chocolate poisoning include: restlessness, increased heart rate, diarrhea, vomiting, increased urination and excitability. Treatment needed will depend on the pet's weight and the type of chocolate consumed.|
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.
Milk chocolate (3 ounces toxic for 10 lb dog)
Semisweet chocolate (1.3 ounces toxic for 10lb dog)
Baker's chocolate. (.45 oz toxic for 9 lb dog)
Milk Chocolate (60 - 66 mg/oz or 2.12 - 2.33 mg/gram of methylxanthines)
Semi Sweet Chocolate (150 mg/oz or 5.29 mg/gram of methylxanthines)
Baking Chocolate (~450 mg/oz or 15.87 mg/gm of methylxanthines)
* Moderate to severe reactions may be seen at doses over 40 mg/kg
* Cardiotoxicity may be seen at ~ 50 mg/kg
* Seizures are possible at doses over 60 mg/kg
* Any dose over 40 - 45 mg/kg should be considered potentially life-threatening
* 100 mg/kg is the LD50, meaning that at this dose half of the animals will die; animals can die from exposures well below the LD50